It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:52 am
Having trouble or have questions using this Bulletin Board?
Click Here For Help

Click Here to Join the Owners Only Forums

Go to the Main Aruba Beach Club Website

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: homeless dogs and cats
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:10 am 

In every country it is such a bad thing that animals are mistreated, abused, thrown in the street, or just left to die.
Does this happen in Aruba, ofcourse it does, not long ago the veterinary service had a long article in the newspaper about the number of animals that they put down every year ,shocking, but that is not an open picture.
Only solution is;lower the prize drastically to get animals fixed

Is it sad, absolutely,is it necessary, absolutly not. My husband was a vet and in his time we sterelized and castrated dogs and cats for only the price of medicines used and they found many owners and good homes. Aruba has several vets that are employed by the government and get a big salary from the gouvernement, in their contract it states that they need to give 80% of their time to the government and only 20% is allowed for their private practice. But they must have read that the wrong way for they are daily at all hours in their private practice and yet so much needs to be done for the island.
Though we have an animal shelter where you can buy a dog or cat fixed at low price, it is my believe the vets can do much more than that and should perform these services for owners at the same cost since they get paid a salary anyway.
Many Aruban family's do not have the money to get their animals fixed ,so they let them breed time after time and than what you get is a lot of animals that end up in the cunucu or are brought to be put down. I love the help of American tourists that take an animal home and the airline that is so forthcoming and I personally want to thank them for that.
But it is a misconception that things are here worse than in other countries for it happens all over the world. We never had rabies and sofar so good ,but if that were to happen ( it is in South America as well as North America) than many stray animals would not be vaccinated and that could cause huge problems.
I wished there was a working program where all dogs and cats could be fixed for a very low price,I know there are volonteers and I would be the first to sign up if I knew it was set up on solid ground,but it is the vets that need to give some of their time ,all vets even those not employed by the government.
We have a few people that take in cats and dogs of the street ,it helps but it is a huge task and unfair for so few to carry such a burden for it is very costly to feed these animals. Several times organizations to help those animals came and than disappeared again together with the donations , because they ran out of funds .

Truth is the local people do not have that much money to donate and so, I hope one day a good group of people will get it done to help more animals than is the case now. Animal abuse is the meanest thing ever,they have no defence.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:21 pm 

I agree with you. I am surprised the vets are paid by the government in Aruba. Maybe if they had their own private practice they could charge less and fix more animals.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:55 pm 

Not all vets are in employ of the government, those 2 who are could/should give one day, 8 hours to spay and fix dogs and cats, all other vets and I believe we have over 10 by now could give 2 hours per week "for free" to do the same, that would be helping tremendously but nowadays it is usually only about the money and the Aruban people just cannot pay between Afl. 150 and yes even up to Afl. 250 for a sterelisation. preventing unwanted kittens and pups being born is so much better than killing them later . So I would encourage every tourist that comes here, and wants to save a pet (what better real authentic greatfull and loving truly Aruban souvenir could you take home) please do so .

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:29 pm 

We have two dogs and two cats, all rescues. My husband and I also help transport dogs for various rescue groups. It breaks our hearts when we see the dogs of Aruba wandering the streets. They are so well behaved!!! One day, we watched two from our balcony playing with little lizards. We thought they were catching them because they were desperate for food. Nope, they were just playing.....like regular carefree dogs. Unfortunately, they most likely did not have a home. Whether we are "supposed" to or not.....we feed them. And we hope that they find a home. And we always drop money into the jars that we see in a lot of the stores in the hopes that is helping somehow. Sadly, this is certainly not a problem isolated to Aruba. :cry:

Go to the Main Aruba Beach Club Website