It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:39 pm
Having trouble or have questions using this Bulletin Board?
Click Here For Help

Click Here to Join the Owners Only Forums

Go to the Main Aruba Beach Club Website

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: weather is unpredictable
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:32 am 

Lately we have had a lot of rain and there is no telling when it comes, how long it will stay and how many times a day it will rain ,so if you go out take either an umbrella or one of those plastic poncho's with you, for even in the tropics ,a cold can be catched easy ,specially when you get soaked.. Sofar the sun has always emerged for at least a couple hours a day. The ocean same thing, one day waves eating away at the beach and than a while lovely calm waters. Today the good news came that our one and only hospital will undergo a total renovation and will be expanded to almost double its size,for that is much needed. Though there is a smaller version in San Nicolas, that is not nearly enough.
The hospital is old and needs a total renewal and finally they agreed this will be done and the plans are ready, they only need to come up with the money now , but I have an inkling our dear old god-mother Holland will once again chip in.
The rain does cause a lot of delay with the construction in the mainstreet, and that project is far from being finished ,the worse things is the shops, will they be able to recover these years of selling practically nothing, now people think once that tram is making the rounds, all will be well but so much still to be done ,I think it may take another 2 years before we can really call it once again "the main shopping street"
The area around the big hotels "Paseo Herencia' is very lively, specially in the evening there is always some music,water fountain show or something else going on, shops are open, 2 cinema's good restaurants and nice to see both tourists and locals having a good time.
Already things are on the way for the carnaval, out of nowhere so many little music bands pop up and the floats are under construction ,if only they would take away those huge loud amplifiers for the noise they make is absulutley deafning nowadays. But the spirit of carnaval you can feel it already.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:27 pm 

Thanks for the update on the weather and what's going on in Aruba. Good news about the renovation of the hospital. When is Carnival this year? Will be arriving in Aruba February 23, 2013 for 3 weeks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:02 pm 

Thank you so much Olga for this up to date local news and weather report. I try to read some of the local papers online but most are in Spanish, Dutch or Papiamento. The Spanish and Dutch ones I can translate most of the time but I have do not have a good Papiamento translator. I feel so sorry for the merchants downtown who have been trying to hold on to their businesses. Many have closed and I don't know if they will reopen after the Tram starts running. This was a very long project.
Nothing at all we can do about the weather but I sure hope the surf doesn't chew away our beach like it did several years ago. This past June when I was there was the largest I have ever seen it since I have been coming to ABC.
Marilyn, we will both miss Carnival this year with the Grande parade being on Feb 10th.
CARNIVAL SEASON 2013:
• January 5th Aruba’s Torch Parade
• January 13th Balloons Parade
• January 24th Aruba’s 38th Children Queen and 50th Youth Queen Election and Coronation
• January 26th Aruba’s 43th Grand Tumba Contest
• January 27th Children’s Parade San Nicolas
• January 28th Aruba’s 19th Mrs. Carnival Election
• February 1st Aruba’s 59th Carnival Queen Election and Coronation
• February 2nd Children’s Carnival Parade Noord
• February 2nd Aruba Tivoli Lighting Parade
• February 3rd Grand Children’s Carnival Parade in Oranjestad
• February 5th Tourist Night Steelband and Costume Show
• February 7th Lighting Parade San Nicolas
• February 9th Jouvert Morning & Pyjama Party
• February 9th Grand Carnival Parade in San Nicolas
• February 10th Aruba’s Famous 58th Grand Carnival Parade in Oranjestad
• February 12 Grand Burning of the Momo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:11 pm 

Yes carnaval is way too early this year, right after new years eve already the preparations started ,but it feels like too many things in to short a time, o well as long as it does not rain the days of the parade for that is really bad and sofar it has been almost always dry and sunny ( better said hot and very sunny haha)
It takes gallons of cool drinks to walk in the parade, don't know how some do it ,for many participating are not young nor very slimm and it is a long way to go, walk, dance and listen to the music all day and some participate in both the San Nicolas parade as well as the big one in Oranjestad,no wonder after carnaval a number of the personel in all branches do not show up, possibly their legs gave out for a while. Pure protest for the abuse of those musles, now a few too many beers might be the cause as well ofcourse, but it is like an addiction for some ,they have to join year after year and they love it ,so enjoy the glamour of the glitter, costumes and the caribbean beat. I only wished we were back to the times the steelbands played without the amplifiers, everybody complains about the sound volume and every year it gets louder, beats me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:56 am 

The weather in Aruba beats Boston winter weather hand down

Go to the Main Aruba Beach Club Website